Current Name: Osborne    NSBR Registration Number: 1666
Original Function Class
Fighting R N Steam Cutter
Length x Breadth (m) Length x Breadth (ft)
9.52 x 2.25 31ft 3in x 7ft 5in
Location Current Use
Portsmouth PNBPT
Date of Build
1896
1666 Osborne.jpg
©NMMC
1666 Osborne.jpg
©NMMC
1666 Osborne2.jpg
1666 Osborne3.jpg
1666 Osborne4.jpg
History Key Dates
YearChangeSource
1896Built by J Samuel White at East Cowes, Isle of WightPortsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
1936Decommissioned and used for dockyard servicePortsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
1972Purchased by A L SpencerPortsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
1979Re-launched after 7 year retorationPortsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
1992Moved to Bucklers HardPortsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
1997Moved to SandringhamPortsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
2007Moved to Portsmouth Dockyard and currently displayed in No 7 BoathousePortsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
Summary

OSBORNE was built in 1896 by John Samuel White as a ' Patent Steam Life Launch' for the Royal Yacht OSBORNE. She also served on the other Royal Yachts ALEXANDRA and VICTORIA AND ALBERT III. She was decommissioned in 1936 and used for dockyard service. Primarily owned thereafter and saved from destruction by A J Kitson in the 1950's, she was converted for use on the River Thames and then unused for many years until purchased by A L Spencer in 1972. Re-launched in 1979 after a 7-year restoration period she was used extensively on the Thames and the south coast until 1992. She was then preserved and maintained at Buckler's Hard until moved to Sandringham in 1997. She was moved to Portsmouth Dockyard in 2007 and is currently displayed in No 7 Boathouse under the care of the Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust. Examined and images added GH Apl 2013 Significance : Steam cutter that served three Royal Yachts